Monday, July 20, 2009

Meditative Prayer

I have recently found that what I call meditative prayer is a very effective technique for my personal prayer time. I call it meditative prayer because I use some of the meditative techniques to prepare for and participate in the prayer. I begin by taking deep breaths and talking my way through the process. Initially, I take three deep breaths to concentrate on my breathing. I instruct my self and my wife as she often participates with me in each of the steps. I will say, "take three deep breaths.....inhale....exhale" and I will repeat this all three times. Next, I tell myself and who ever may be participating with me to stop the dialogue in the mind. I will say just cut off all of the thought chatter and concentrate on your breathing. These techniques tend to bring one into awareness of what is happening right now...at the very moment.

I continue then with relaxation instructions beginning with the feet. This technique can be used either by one sitting down in a chair or by one lying flat on his or her back. I will say, relax all the muscles in the feet and feel the stress of the day and life begin to flow out of the feet. These verbal instructions tend to cause a heightened awareness of the body part spoken of and it begins to tingle and feel very alive. Step by step, the instructions move on to the ankles, thighs and up the body torso to the tip of the head. It is important to mention the neck, forehead and cheeks.

Next in the process is instructions to begin to feel that the Holy Spirit will quicken (bring life) to the physical body. I actually acknowledge this out loud and the awareness comes into being. Of course we realize that this is a scriptural reality promised to all believers but, it helps immensely to become aware of it. You can really begin to feel your body come to life and you can feel a pulsing sensation through out your body and overall you become more and more aware and in tune with the present moment, the now. This is a good time to openly acknowledge the forgiveness that has been received via Christ and furthermore, it is important to recall the things forgiveness is needed for and acknowledge that you also forgive yourself and others. Forgiveness is very important in spiritual growth.

The idea behind all of this is to reduce the thought process and begin to commune on a spiritual level. I find that it really works. The next step that I often take, not always but often is to encourage my spirit to begin to praise God in tongues. The Spirit has allowed me to see that one of the major benefits of unknown tongues is to stop the thinking process and allow the spirit to commune with the Father in the now, i.e., the present moment.

Finally, I begin to thank God for all of my blessings and his goodness and love. I thank and worship him for his kingdom and all that is happening in the realm of spiritual growth. I have felt the anointing rush in my hands and course through my body. It is at this juncture that I totally allow the Spirit to take over and sometimes I will pray for others, sometime I will pray for healing...whatever the Spirit directs that is what I do.

One thing I can say for certain is that I find it to be a powerful experience!

No comments:

Accurately Defining the Christ

The term Christ came from the Greek word Christos . The meaning of that word was anointing or the rubbing on of oil or ointment. The Hebrew ...