Sunday, May 15, 2022

God Beyond Religion: Master and Disciple, demystifying terms

 


In 1993, I was in a Barnes and Noble Book Store in St Louis MO. At that time, I was heavily invested in my return to evangelical Christianity of sorts. I write of sorts because, I was not at all invested in hell and eternal punishment, nor was I invested in the party-line definition of sin. I saw sin and still do to a degree as human pathology. I am moving toward embracing the Jungian concept of the shadow self. During this trip to Barnes and Noble, before one could surf the internet, bookstores and libraries were my main pastime. Of course, having recently returned to evangelical Christianity I was looking in the Christian book section. I ran across a paperback that had a new age looking cover entitled “The Unvarnished New Testament.” While I was afraid that it may make me a heretic, I was inextricably drawn to it and in the end bought it against all fears.

This is one of many moments that shaped my theology and while it was purely serendipitous, it was very truly a “happy accident!” I have three copies now, two paperbacks and a Kindle addition. While so many of my theology books are boxed an in my garage, awaiting giving them away, these remain important to me in my efforts to follow Jesus as a metaphysical Christian who is venturing into eclectic spirituality. Yes, the goal of my eclectic spirituality is syncretism.

So back to the Unvarnished New Testament. Andy Gaus is a Greek scholar but not of the religious kind. He simply translates Greek into English. He was given as a present a Greek copy of the gospel of John and was surprised how it read so simply beautiful. He then set out to translate the gospels, and after that in 1991 he translated the Unvarnished New Testament. It is not lost on me that he wrote it in 1991 and I discovered it in 1993. I find that an interesting synchronicity.

As I read it, I was struck by chapter five of Matthew’s gospel and the beatitudes. He begins, “The poor in spirit are in luck, theirs is the kingdom of the skies.” That sentence resonated deeply in my spirit, and I then wanted to read on. I became aware of the fact that orthodoxy had given names to words that mystified them. Father in heaven was really “father in the skies.” Of course, that is a metaphor for an unreachable realm, but it makes it far less religious and much more like what a native American shaman would say.

The point of this trip down memory lane is to show that Christian religion has mystified and offered a super spiritual connotation to many words. One such set of words is disciple and master. In the Greek disciple is simply student, and master is simply teacher. This simply means that among other things these days, I am a student of Jesus teaching. I choose to demystify these words that were in my view stolen by orthodoxy.

I am not certain that these terms can be taken back and reinstated with their actual meaning. But I choose to try. I would be interested in knowing what you think. Can the jargon of orthodoxy be repurposed to its original meaning or is it simply a lost cause and the terms are too toxic for healthy consumption? I’m not giving up on the fact that they can be reclaimed.

No comments:

Is the Gospel of John Gnostic in Nature?

The Gospel of John, distinct in its theological flavor and narrative structure from the Synoptic Gospels, has long been a subject of scholar...